PO Box 32547
Pikesville, MD 21282-9998
8/5/2020 10:50 AM
© 2020 ERU
How Do I Adopt?
MISSION: GETTING THE RIGHT ESKIE INTO THE RIGHT HOME!
- You must be 21 years of age or older to submit an application.
- Effective January 1, 2009, adoption fees are:
- Young puppies, see price in desired puppy's profile (under 6 months)
- $300 for older puppies (6 to 11 months)
- $250 for adults (1 yr to 4 yr 11 mos)
- $200 for adults (5 yr to 9 yr 11 mos)
- $150 for seniors (10+ yrs)
- We have a "Senior-for-Seniors Program" that reduces the fee to $75 to those over 60 and want to adopt an Eskie over the age of 10. Please read the section on the Senior Program.
- The ERU Board of Directors has reduced all of the above fees by 25% by for Returning/Repeat Adopters. (As always, all fees are subject to the approval of the Executive Directors.)
- The adoption fees are used to offset some of the cost of medical treatments incurred while the dog has been under the care of ERU. This may cover (but not be limited to) exams, spay/neuter, vaccinations, flea and tick prevention, heartworm test and/or treatment.
- When adopting an ERU Eskie, they will be spayed or neutered, on heartworm and flea & tick prevention, and up-to-date on all vaccines. We try our very best to make sure every Eskie is in good health and any Special Needs are noted.
- ERU will consider in-state applicants before out of area/state if for the same dog but each adopter must be prepared to assist in part or all of the transportation to receive their Eskie.
OUR ADOPTION PROCESS
- You may think our application and adoption procedures are a bit stringent or lengthy. Please remember that many of these dogs have already been separated from a home, and not always a loving one. We try hard to make the adoptions successful and make the best possible decisions for the dogs. Our adoption process helps to assure us that you are ready for the responsibility and commitment of adopting a beautiful Eskie.
- After filling out the Adoption Application, it will be reviewed and your vet will be called as a reference. (If you do not have a vet because this is your first pet, please know that this will NOT prevent you from being able to adopt one of our dogs.) After the application review and reference check, you will be contacted by an ERU representative for a short telephone interview and to set up a home visit appointment. We want to see where the Eskie(s) will live, play and exercise.
- Before releasing a dog to its new "Furever Family", ERU requires that the adoptors sign an Adoption Agreement. This document is a legally binding contract between you and ERU. It confirms that you are aware of the restrictions that ERU places on the disposition of the dog you adopt and the rights to that dog that are reserved by ERU. We strongly recommend that you review the Adoption Agreement before proceeding with the adoption process.
Click here to review the Adoption Agreement*.
[*NOTE: Adoption Agreement is stored in Adobe® Portable Document Format (PDF). Most computers have Adobe® Reader. If you do not, a free copy can be obtained by clicking the logo to the right.]
- ERU believes there is a home for every dog and we attempt to place the right dog for the right home. When you commit to an adoption, we expect that you will work with your new Eskie during the short adjustment period of the new home experience. We may be able to offer you some suggestions to help you and your new companion through these adjustments or problems. Therefore, ERU requests that periodic follow up calls or mail are made during the first year to assure the happiness and safety of both adopter and Eskie.
- If we feel the dog you are interested in may not be the right match, please allow us the right to suggest one that may be better suited to fit your needs. Please note that not all Eskies available are posted on the website.
Last Updated: 8/5/2020 10:50 AM
ADOPT FROM ESKIE RESCUERS UNITED AND HELP
SAVE THE LIFE OF AN ESKIE!